Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Why I don't like the phrase: "God's Call"

Before we applied to BFA I wondered if we needed to sense a very clear and spiritual call from God before moving ahead. Something more specific than having a long-held desire to live in Germany, the ability and passion for teaching, and our applications being accepted. Aren't missionaries supposed to have a "call"?! I envisioned that call as a moment I could point to...perhaps a prophetic word from someone during a church service, or an intense time of prayer where it became so clear that God wanted us in Germany.


But it never came. So we decided to move forward one step at a time. First we would apply; then we would raise support; then we would work on putting our lives in Colorado on hold. We prayed and sought guidance throughout the process, trusting that if God wanted to stop us, he certainly could. He never did, and now we find ourselves in Germany.

I don't want to put up a front with our supporters, friends, or people who read our blog by labeling our time here as "God's call" so that they feel good about giving. I don't want to guilt anyone into supporting us by implying that without their help we couldn't obey God and come to Germany and do his work. Because God doesn't actually need us to accomplish his work in Germany. He does, however, graciously let us participate, and because the missionaries here raise their own salaries, he lets so many others participate along with us. I can't tell you what a surprising blessing that has been. (More on that in an upcoming post.)

I do believe God led us here, and I believe we're living within his will. I know for sure that he made it possible for us to be here--too many things had to come together perfectly, and they did. But saying that God called us here feels like it implies that if we were still in Denver, working our old jobs, going to Fellowship church, that we would not be where he called us-that we would be outside his will. And I don't think that's true.


Just like God gave me a choice in marrying Jordan, (i.e. He didn't write it in the clouds.) he gave us a choice in coming to BFA. We could have stayed in Denver and served him there. We could have gone to India, or England, or China and served him there. Or maybe God called us to BFA because he already knew this is what we would choose. (Yikes, this is sounding dangerously close to my high school youth group discussions about predestination vs. freewill.) The point is, I believe God has called us to live and love the way Jesus did wherever we are. And yes, sometimes he does "write it in the clouds". We know he told Jonah to go to Ninevah, and I believe God does call some people that way-very clearly. I just don't believe every choice has a clear yes or no from God. I believe, more often than not he says, "You choose".

Jeremiah 29:11 messed me up a bit. At least my interpretation of it did. I still love the assurance it brings that God has good plans for his people, but for a long time I was so focused on his "plan" that I was distracted from God himself. I felt and acted as if God had the blueprints for my life hidden in a vault somewhere and it was my job to find them. So I made lists of pros and cons, I prayed, sometimes I even fasted. I hemmed and hawed. None of those things are bad-they are probably wise, but I did them with a spirit of fear. I was afraid I would make the wrong decision. Afraid I'd never know God's plan. Afraid I'd somehow miss it if I closed my eyes. And I think most of the time, God was right there smiling at me, saying, "Kate, what do you want to do?" (This obviously does not apply to a choice like, "God, should I do drugs or not?" but to choices that reflect a life living the way he's called us to live.)

 
Today I'm much less concerned with where God has called me than I am with how God has called me to live. Goodness, it's hard enough to let my life display patience, kindness and self-control without keeping one eye open all the time, watching for my "call".

So right now, that means that I am called to live and love like Jesus in Germany. Last year, I was called to do that in Denver. I believe that where I am and what I'm doing don't matter nearly as much as who I am doing it for and how I am doing it.

9 comments:

  1. Loved the post.

    I've come to think of the concept of Christian calling in terms of big "C" and little "c."

    The little "c" is God's call that is placed upon every Christian, the call to discipleship the call to die. I call this little "c" call the general call that God has placed upon my life, it is concrete and cannot be ignored.

    The big "C" is God's specific Call that he can place upon my life, and anyone's life, at any time. These are things like a Call to go to a certain place and minister to a certain group of people, a Call pursue a certain education or vocation. I call this big "C" call a specific Call. These Calls are non-negotiables as well but they don't often come, in fact, I've found them to be quite rare, and without them, I keep putting my hand to whatever comes to it keeping my little "c" call at the forefront of my mind.

    I grew up in a church that individualized Jeremiah 29:11 without putting it into its greater context--that God had a plan to bring Israel back from exile. I have found that we cannot apply it in the same way that God meant it to Israel to all individual Christians everywhere without completely spiritualizing it and, ironically, stifling any meaning it has.

    Great post, Kate, I look forward to reading more of them, keep at the race out there in Germany.
    Ryan Farrell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan, I really like that differentiation! It makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for your encouragement! Hope you guys are soaking up these days with your sweet little girl!

      Delete
  2. I love this blog and your beautiful blog posts. You are so very wise, my friend! I love reading your words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Kate! Thank you so much for writing. I love discussing what we really *mean* by the phrases we say as Christians. I agree with Ryan's comment too - I believe there are times that God speaks a specific and strong word of direction. But I do believe, like you said, that most of our following Christ is a natural unfolding process of our lives. We are hidden in Him, and He does give us many choices and many options that are still well within His good boundaries for us. I'm happy to know you and Jordan and looking forward to the year ahead! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dayla! Glad we can chat about this stuff in person, AND online. :)

      Delete
  4. I like your post and agree with you Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post Kate - it was VERY encouraging to me right now :)

    I'm enjoying reading about your journey and will continue to pray for you guys as you love God and others well in Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this... so true.
    We are called to "not worry about tomorrow" to live right now in light of God's love and grace TODAY, and see where that leads us. I like what you said about pursuing something until it's a No. It's so much more about what God does in us and through us as we step forward in our passions... Recognizing what we actually want to do can be an expression of worship; recognizing the ways God has created us uniquely and exploring where that might lead in the context of vocation/the world. It's about saying Yes to the desires He has placed in us to begin with. To me, that defines "calling" - working in our natural giftings and passions in the creativity that God has given us as we pursue Him.

    ReplyDelete