Thursday, August 8, 2013

Overwhelmed

This morning we woke up to our second full day in Kandern. I still can't believe this is really happening. It feels very surreal. The days seem to go up and down like a see-saw...equal parts exciting and overwhelming.

Exciting:

Our first trip to the grocery store went well! We decided going into it that if we left with food, we would consider it a success. I was so proud that I found almond milk. It made me feel like I could decipher German...never mind the picture of a creamy liquid flowing from almonds on the box. Jordan found some cereal called "White Flakes" and I couldn't stop laughing. Doesn't that sound so gross? I think it's the German version of Frosted Flakes, but it sounds more like dandruff or dead skin to me.

Exciting:
Meeting lots of nice gals at a get-together at the apartment of a fellow BFA staffer and neighbor.

Overwhelming:
The plethora of baskets in our house. We've found 15 so far.
Note several of said baskets above the cabinets
Overwhelming:
The clock on the stove (and every other digital clock) that tells me it's 15:28.

Exciting:
It's so beautiful here. The town is charming and the hills surrounding Kandern's valley are covered in lush, green trees.


Overwhelming:
It turns out that jet-lag is a very real thing. It feels nearly impossible to get out of bed in the morning. And when I finally do get up, I feel like I'm dragging my body through water. Several times Jordan and I realized we were both just sitting and staring into space when we were supposed to be unpacking or cleaning.

Overwhelming:
We registered at the town hall and ordered a trash can. A very small trash can. And then they told us they would pick it up once a month. A month?! We were not to be alarmed because most items can be recycled. Just look for the special symbol on plastics and aluminum. (I haven't figured out what that symbol looks like yet). But bring your plastic bottles back to the grocery store. And paper cannot go in the regular recycle. You have to take that somewhere else only opened on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays...or something like that. And glass goes somewhere else. All that to say, it's quite complicated. Every time I go to throw something out, I stop and think...which can?? So I have a pile of questionable trash next to the sink. I did not know throwing away trash could take so much energy.

It seems that this metaphorical see-saw is weighed down a little more on the overwhelming side right now. I think that's to be expected at this point, though. Hopefully, things will be more balanced after we are settled and the jet-lag wears off.

And finally, here are some shots of the refurbished barn in which we live:




 

 
 

 

9 comments:

  1. I love the tiny little garbage can.
    I'm so glad I have a normal size one though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, Just read your whole blog, had no idea you were doing this. How wonderful. Love your observations, your humor, your honesty and your spirit! Some things never change. I'll be praying for you both, and for your Mama too...know it can't be easy bein back here. Hope there's room in the barn for visitors, as I'm sure they've got tickets, or plan to. We loved seeing where Laurel was in France. She wanted to do some missions while there studying abroad that yr, and so, she just found a missions agency on her own, that could set her up doing some missions on wknds, while there, and BFA sounds so familiar, and I think they were headquartered in Wheaton area, or maybe Arlington Heights, not positive. I'm awful with details.....but in any event, I will be praying and know God went before you and will continue to provide for your every need, and to grant you His peace and patience and hope, as He is so faithful to do...remember Isaiah 43 where His word speaks of not fearing...."do not fear, do not fear, for I am your God, the God of Israel, do not fear." Can't wait to read more, love and kisses<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Captiva?! Is that really you? I'm so honored that you read our blog. Does your wife read it, too? Is she even your wife...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need to hit the reply button for them to know you replied in the Comments world!

      Delete
  4. Julie! So glad you are enjoying the blog. Thank you for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these updates!!! Keep them coming :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It's so sad, Rebecca, the grocery store that sold it has shut down! What's a girl to do???

      Delete