Thursday, August 15, 2013

Being Real

That is one of my goals for this blog: being real.
Because I think that's important. And way more interesting.
 
I love taking pictures.
They are a great tool to share our life with loved ones who are far.
But pictures can be dangerous.
Pictures can make life look perfect.
 
 
So I have been making an effort, not only to document the beautiful, breathtaking, and happy moments we've had, but also the dull, dreary, and lame moments.
 
I'm probably not going to post pictures of us sorting trash from recycling, spending too much time on facebook, or trying to calculate how many grams of butter I need for a recipe that calls for two sticks. Because that's just boring, and I'd rather sort trash than upload unnecessary pictures.
 
 
But I do want to use both pictures and words to convey that our life is real. There are ups and there are downs. (Remember the seesaw?) There is beauty and there is ugliness.
 
When looking at someone else's photos, or even looking back on my own, I need to remind myself of the sweat and the bugs and the anxiety and the headaches. I need to see past the gorgeous scenery and smiling faces and remember that life is real. Those moments were great, but they weren't perfect. And while God is working in the beauty, he's also working in the sweat and the bugs and the anxiety and the headaches.
 
So that's my disclaimer for the following. Here is our bike/hike in photographs:

The Black Forest.



The paved bike path ended unexpectedly. Left with only his bike shoes,
Jordan hiked 3 miles in (my) socks.


Ultimately, he felt it was worth it.

These are the ruins of the Sausenburg Castle built in 1120.
 

Insert bugs, sweat, and mild anxiety. But also fun!

 Overlooking the village of Sitzenkirch, where I will teach middle school.
The French Mountains in the distance.
 
 
Tomorrow I will post (real) pictures of Kandern and our apartment!

3 comments:

  1. I love your transparency and honesty, it's true like is such a mix of bitter and sweet. Excited to see more apartment pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true so true.
    The ugly is just as important as the beautiful. God is present and working in all!
    Love your goal to Be Real :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! And thanks for your clue about the reply button! What would I do without you to teach me about technology?!

      Delete