Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Story.



Plot charts. Falling action. Exposition. Theme. These words have all been buried in the recesses of my brain, gathering dust for the past 10 years. I didn't think I would ever need them again. Yet, last month, I found myself creating lesson plans in which I had to teach these terms and concepts. Scary.

My students were gracious when I taught characterization wrong one day. They enthusiastically brainstormed themes for the short stories we read. And they humored me when I asked them to create plot charts of God's story. The story of redemption. The story of Jesus coming to earth to live as a man. The climax, of course, being when he dies on the cross, is buried, and rises from the dead three days later.

I figured this would be an easy assignment. These kids grew up as missionaries, after all! They knew this story. Most of them turned down my offer of a Bible to help them find their three required supporting verses. They already had them memorized. Neatly written charts were soon piling up in the assignment tray.

One student, working quietly in the corner, had taken a Bible and opened to the book of Matthew at the beginning of class, presumably finding his supporting verses. Yet, in the book of Matthew he stayed. Toward the end of 4th period, his plot chart was still blank. And he was still reading. I interrupted him to make sure he understood the assignment.

"Oh yes," he replied. "It's just that...I don't really know this story. I've never really read the Bible before, so I need to read it first, and then I can do my plot chart."

I attempted to mask my surprise. "Of course!...And this is a great opportunity to read it. Um...It might take you a while to read the whole thing, though, so..." I offered him extra time and suggested some adults in his life who could give him a summary. He thanked me, and continued reading.

 
A few days later, I sat grading these plot charts, remembering myself as a middle school student. I wouldn't have needed a Bible for this assignment either. In fact, that's all it probably would have been to me. An assignment. Another grade on my report card. Even though this story is the crux of my faith. It encapsulates everything I believe, affects how and why I live my life, and gives me purpose. I would be nothing without this story.

And while many of my students would agree with those words and the power of this story in their own lives, this plot chart was probably just another assignment to them, too. A nice way to integrate faith and learning. But for at least one student, this was an open door. An invitation and an opportunity to step into something new. To be exposed, for the first time, to the story of all stories.

From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth;
and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 
God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him,
though he is not far from any one of us.
‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’
Acts 17:26-28a
 
 
He is not far from any one of us.



1 comment:

  1. What an interesting story. I am fascinated by the student reading Matthew. And your view of yourself at this age in school and now. What a blessing to see.

    ReplyDelete